Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Chalk Paint Grey Side Board

Hello. Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. Mine is going to be great, I can tell. The weather has finally lifted here and I can smell spring in the air. It tickles my nose and lingers with freshness. I may just have to make a stop while I'm out, and grab a bouquet of fresh flowers. 


Here's the handsome fellow I worked on last night. Below, is how he looked before.


Pretty average. I was drawn to the detail in the side doors. It did come as a full hutch, but the upper part had this ugly  unique fabric as the back panel and trimmed around all the glass. Typically, I could have pulled it off the back panel and painted it. I can not work with it around the glass, not with out many tears. The store kept it to sell seperately.

I re-stained the top with Varathane Gel Stain in Dark Walnut. Check out this post, to see my previous project using  the Gel Stain.


I wanted to show you, how it can tone down any discolorations in the wood. The top on this piece had yellowed a bit from sunlight. All fixed now.

I also used some Rub'n Buff Gold leaf on the handles. Take a look at this post to see the "how to". I think they turned out perfect.


I did light brush strokes on the side doors, too keep the depth and detail.


What a handsome piece.


Before and after.


Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Take care.


Our furry family member, Cali. She's even smiling for me.



24 comments:

  1. I looks fabulous. You did an amazing job. I love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, the grey and gold look fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm really loving the gold for Spring. xo

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous makeover Tabatha - I'm so glad you shared with us at the DIY Sunday Showcase party this week!
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice love how the two look together! Thanks for Sharing at One More Time Events…Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just beautiful. You turned another frog into a prince! Great job xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful color and a great transformation! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I like the color, too. I've never tried chalk paint, but I keep seeing so many transformations like yours.

    Linking from Mod Mix Monday,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tabatha, thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog Little Brags (the Copycat Demijohn post) I tried to reply directly to your comment but you came up as a non reply blogger (Google glitch). I follow you now via Bloglovin. Thanks for inviting me to your weekly party. I will add you to my party links and link up this WED.
    Christine from http://littlebrags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, this looks lovely. The gray/gold combo really pops. I really like the wooden top -- I've never tried that but you've inspired me. I saw your post at Three Mango Seeds/It's So Very Cheri. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! It's amazing what paint can do! I used to despise these older styled furniture pieces that is until I discovered paint! :D Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO GORGEOUS! I want it. LOVE! - Bre @ Average But Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. I did something very similar, with a couple of twists, and we have a dog named Calli:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous makeover! Love the color and the cutie sitting in front of it! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, you did such a great job! And Cali is adorable! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful transformation! Thanks for sharing at The Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely... just lovely! I"m featuring this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. office cubicles for sale

    ReplyDelete
  18. What color/brand of chalk paint did you use. This is gorgeous, I love the entire thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Entire life Replacement is an element that you scarcely find, while you Buy facebook reviews. Exclusively a handful of excellent service providers are offering this. buy 5 star facebook reviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a bedroom set with the same design on the doors of the chest dressers and the long dressers has the cravings on the drawers... lots of craves. it needs to be painted and sand. I got me a hand sander and I have all kinds of sandpapers grades. I want to change the color, from dark walnuts to something neutral. Love that grey. I was told I needed to do a primer first.. then color. My stress is the designs. I don't want ruin it. The furnitures is over 50 years old. It was inherited from a relatives. she was old and never really took care of the wood. It is quite dry and has cracks in certain areas. Which I am sure , I will have to patch up before hand. Any suggestions???? would love to get some easy ones.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I post. It's kinda like going to the post office, I giggle like a school girl when I receive a new comment.