Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hello Mint Dresser

 
On Friday, I was stopping at my usual Junque stops and came across this beauty. I immediately called my husband and told him to "start the car!', or in our case the truck.



I should state:
THIS IS MY FIRST DRESSER PROJECT!
That's right, very first one.

 It all started last week, when I discovered the Turquiose Iris blog. If you have been checking out furniture blogs, I'm sure you have seen her work. I am totally in love with her colors and style. Back to the point... She inspired me to move past my usual end tables, and test the water. Little did I know this water would be deep. I started by sanding all flat surfaces, and wiping it down with TSP. I've heard quite a few DIY'ers mention this stuff. If you have not tried it yet, I would. It worked great. The only down side I found, was it made some of the finish soft at the edges. If anyone knows how to prevent or why, please let me know. In case your rushing out to buy some...I found mine at Home Depot.

Next step, mix paint.

Paint Recipe:
1 cup paint
2 Tbsp Plaster of Paris

I am way too cheap to buy brand name chalk paint, and our local shop has limited hours. Don't get me wrong, I have tried Annie Sloan and LOVED it. I just can't take the price. I found this recipe somewhere online, and it works great. I find the key to smooth paint, is let it sit after the initial mix for 15 minutes. After that I would give it one more mix. I use a hand held mixer thing-a-ma-jig. Works amazing!

I put on a few coats, and lightly sanded with 220 Grit paper. Then wiped down the dresser one more time to remove the dust. I used Varathane Water Based Clear Coat to seal everything.
I really like the feel it gave the paint. I found mine at Rona, but I'm sure any local Hardware store would carry it.

Did I mention, I LOVE MINT!

 Notice there's no hardware? Here they are.
I wasn't really feeling them. Any suggestions for new ones? I was thinking crystal glass knobs. Totally cHiC.

I want to share what else I stole bought, on Friday. It was so cheap, I felt like I was stealing it from the store. $49.99 Can you believe it?
What do you think? I adore the detail of the doors. I'm thinking turquoise....

On a total side note. Winter is almost over here in my neck of the woods.

I even found some grass. YIPEE!!!!
Grass is a sign that Garage Sale Season will be starting. soon. I feel like I have a new set of eyes to shop with.

I am posting at these parties:


25 comments:

  1. The dresser turned out so cute! (Great color combo choice.) And I'm loving that beautiful hutch--it was definitely a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dresser turned out really nice. Glass knobs would be cute, I picked some up at Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago that are glass but also has mint color in the ends. They have a very cool effect, they would match your dresser perfectly. If you have a Hob Lob near by, you might want to check to see if they have them.
    Visiting you from Classy Clutter, come by to visit me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I have one here in Canada. I may just have to bite it and order online. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  3. Love the dresser, can't wait to see what you do with the china cabinet. Dee from My Painted Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. I can't wait to see what I do. also : ) {hehe}

      Delete
  4. Wow. I love this. I can't wait for spring around here so I can try to find some furniture like this. So pretty. I would love it if you would share this at my link party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty dresser & congrats on getting the 1st (of many) under your belt! Crystal knobs would be adorable or even some light mint green glass flowers maybe?? Sooooo, you're thinking turquoise for that steal of a hutch & I'm thinkin' how good it would look in the back of my truck driving down the road :) Seriously though, amazing deal & can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love mint knobs. I wish we had a hobby lobby in Canada to order from : (

      Delete
  6. Wowza! What a transformation and I love the colors you chose. I just painted some antique furniture and ended up painting the hardware that it came with and it looks awesome. Pics are on my blog today. Maybe you could paint it in the same mint green? You would still get the texture of the hardware but it would look more cohesive as well as more modern. I also like the idea of crystal, but they might vanish amongst the other detail on the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I did check out your project. Brilliant idea!

      Delete
  7. I love mint too! This dresser turned out fab. I think glass drawer pulls would be spectacular.

    And the detailing on that hutch.... oh my....!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, you did such a great job. That dresser looks a million times better after your touch. I need to paint a dresser in the guest room and I'm trying to decide on color. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING makeover! Love the choice of colors you used. Crystal knobs would indeed look chic. :) Fantastic work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great first makeover! You should be so proud of yourself!
    Woo hoo!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so beautiful. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_19.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi and Charly. I will definitely join next week!

      Delete
  12. Entire life Replacement is something that you barely find, any time you Buy facebook reviews. Solitary a few great companies offer this. facebook reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. Worried of being deceived when you Buy YouTube Views? Here, we assist you doing so. how to buy youtube views

    ReplyDelete
  14. In instance they are interested in your products then they will directly purchase your services online. buy usa likes

    ReplyDelete
  15. The post is very nice. I just shared on my Facebook Account.

    Checkout my site: Organic Facebook Page Likes

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I post. It's kinda like going to the post office, I giggle like a school girl when I receive a new comment.